Are you an experienced information security professional who is looking to use your information security skills in a new context, one that will require you to do everything from routine security work to policymaking, from application administration to strategic planning, from training to network security design?
If so, you might be the right person to do Information Security at St. Olaf and Carleton Colleges in Northfield, MN – the sole Information Security staffer at the colleges and the expert with paramount responsibility for providing a safe, secure computing environment for 6,600 students, faculty and staff.
More specifically, you would wrestle with all the issues of contemporary information security – multiplying threats, varied solutions, evolving software and hardware, new skills and methods. We expect that you will spend about a third of the workweek on information security infrastructure, a third on pro-active analysis and monitoring, and a third on policy expertise and community education.
Concretely, you will be responsible for:
- Conducting network penetration testing, application vulnerability assessments, risk analysis, and compliance testing
- Using Linux and Windows command-line tools (Powershell, Grep, AWK, etc.) to analyze and respond to security incidents
- Using or learning to use information security tools such as Wireshark, ArcSight, Bro, Cloudlock, Splunk, Metasploit, Snort, Nessus, Nikto, Nmap, WMIC, AppLocker, McAfee ePO, Symantec ESM, etc.
- Leading the technical aspects of investigations
- Parsing and querying bro logs and correlating log and network data
- Recommending firewall, GPO, and other security infrastructure and policy changes in partnership with each college’s systems administration team
St. Olaf and Carleton offer great working environments with generous benefits: excellent health care and retirement plans, a tuition benefit for dependents, 22 days of vacation, free use of the campus recreational facilities and other campus events, and half-day Fridays in the summer.
Education: Bachelor’s degree
Experience: Depending on the breadth and depth of your experience, you might be hired at a specialist, senior specialist, or officer level.
Other: Must maintain a valid driver’s license and meet St. Olaf College driver authorization criteria with a satisfactory driving record.